International Study Programmes
Master's Study Programme
Industry 4.0 & Management
Degree: Master of Science (M.Sc.)
The economy is becoming increasingly digital and networked. The intelligent linking of IT and business management systems enables a more flexible, individual, and efficient production as well as an optimization of the entire value chain. The goal of a more flexible production through networking goes hand in hand with ever-shorter product cycles, improved business models and a digitalized value-added network. The core elements of Industry 4.0 are automation, standardization, digitization, and networking as well as the merging of hardware and software.
In order to implement "Industry 4.0", companies are dependent on specialized professionals who have both business management expertise and comprehensive skills in dealing with the key technologies of Industry 4.0.
With "Industry 4.0 & Management", FOM has developed a future-oriented Master's programme whose contents are specifically geared to these requirements. You will acquire both business expertise and management skills as well as sound specialist knowledge of the digital transformation of classic, industrial processes. In this way, you will prepare yourself for a wide range of possible applications in the context of Industry 4.0 and qualify for demanding positions and management tasks in nationally and internationally operating companies across all industries.
International students from all over the world now also have the opportunity to participate in the Industry 4.0 & Management Master’s programme at FOM Hochschule. All four semesters will take place at FOM Hochschule at the study center in Essen, Germany.
The Master’s degree in Industry 4.0 & Management will be completed with the academic degree Master of Science (M.Sc.).
Experience life in Germany and on our campus, deepen your academic skills and expertise in the field of Industry 4.0 in the country that has introduced the term to the world, improve your intercultural competencies and interact with other international students.
Information on Master's Programme "Industry 4.0 & Management"
Degree: Master of Science (M.Sc.)
Length: 4 Semester inclusive Thesis
ECTS: 120 Credit points
Place of Study: FOM Hochschule Essen, Germany
Mode of Study: Fulltime
Course Language: English
Accreditation: The FOM - a non-profit-oriented University of Applied Sciences - and its academic degrees are state-recognized and all its study programmes are accredited. FOM Hochschule is Germany’s largest private university with over 20 years worth of teaching and research experience. » Here you can download the accreditation certificate
University degree* of 180 credit points** with at least 60 credit points in (business) computer science or (business) engineering
with at least 60 credit points from related modules (e.g. mathematics, statistics)
successful completion of an admission examination
In addition, sufficient English language skills must be provided. Proof of sufficient English language skills can be provided by successfully completing a recognized placement test according to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) for foreign languages at a language level of at least B2, e.g. by submitting a TOEIC test (min. 860) points, a TOEFL test (internet-based min. 83 points) or a Duolingo test (min. 105 points). This requirement may be waived in justified individual cases. Native speakers, graduates of an English taught study program, or applicants who can prove that they have lived in an English-speaking country for several years may be exempted from the test to prove sufficient knowledge of the English language.
* Graduation with a Master's or Bachelor's degree or with a diploma or state examination. Degrees from accredited bachelor's training programmes at universities of cooperative education are equivalent to bachelor's degrees from universities of applied sciences.
** FOM awards credit points according to the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) standard. They measure the amount of work required for the degree programme.
Agents advertise the program locally. Interested students can either contact the agents or the FOM (International Office) with questions.
Decision Focussed Management (6 CP)
- Traditional decision theory
- Management decisions from a psychological perspective
- Decisions in a strategy context
Information Systems in Production (6 CP)
- Product development systems
- Production planning systems
- Production management systens
- Case Study
Big Data Analytics (6 CP)
- Data sources and data classification
- Visual analytics / data discovery / explorative data analysis
- AI methods such as machine learning
- Computational intelligence: fuzzy logic, neuronal networks, evolutionary algorithms
Connectivity, Cloud Computing & Internet of Things (6 CP)
- Connectivity (e.g. networking, mobile radio, mobile devices)
- Coud Computing (architecture, service concepts, intersection Big-Data and AI)
- Sensor system (e.g. temperature sensors, position and acceleration sensors, pressure sensors)
- Intelligent Things
- Technology concepts of modern digitalization
Deutsch (6 CP)
- Fundamentals in listening, reading, writing and speaking
- Basic grammatical skills
- Application in situations of everyday life
Artificial Intelligence (6 CP)
- Development of the AI and essential concepts
- Knowledge-based systems
- Machine learning and data mining
Smart Technologies within the Value Chain (7 CP)
- Industry 4.0 technologies within individual business processes of a manufacturing company (production IT, big data analytics, internet of things, artificial intelligence)
- Industry 4.0 technologies within individual business process sections
- Data security
- Impacts and effects of Industry 4.0
Technology & Sustainability (5 CP)
- The role of different actors in sustainable development
- Sustainability assessment of products, services and processes
- Technology transfer as an instrument of sustainable development
- Sustainability relevant fields of technology
Design Thinking & Business Model Innovation (6 CP)
- Lean start-up
- Methods of design thinking to formulate comprehensive and innovative problem and solution spaces
- Basic principles of design thinking business systems and portals
Information-Security (6 CP)
- Technical basis
- Threats and risks
- threar prevention
Organizational Transformation (6 CP)
- requirements of digitization for the enterprise organization
- success factors of organizational transformation processes
- concepts of organizational change: organizational transformation
Digital Factory & Cyber-Physical Systems (6 CP)
- basics of cyber-physical production systems
- fundamentals and application of robotics
- fundamentals and classification of additive manufacuring
- sustanability and ethical aspects in the context of smart production
Research Methods (5 CP)
- empirical research overview
- scientific theories
- research problem and topic
- research and theoretical background
- examination design
Enterprise Architecture Management (6 CP)
- summary EAM
- organizational anchoring of EAM
- business and IT-strategy
- IT systems and IT architecture
- EAM tools
Applied Project I (6 CP)
Master Thesis, Colloquium (25 CP)
Applied Project II (6 CP)
Registration fee: 1.580 Euro Participants who have already completed or are taking a course of study or a recognised continuing education programme at one of the institutes belonging to the BCW Group pay half the enrolment fee.
Tuition fee: 20.570 Euro
Examination fee: 350 euro*
Total cost: 22.500 Euro including registration fee, tuition fee and examination fee
*The examination fee will be charged again if the student resubmits their thesis.
Students can pay the total amount in one installment (before the start of the program) or in two installments. The first installment is to be paid before the start of the program and includes, among others, tuition fess for the first two semesters, enrollment fees and examination fees (1st installment at 12.215 Euro). The second installment includes the tuition fees for the third and fourth semester and must be paid before the start of the 3rd semester (2nd installemt at 10.285 Euro).
Please download the application form at the bottom of this page.
Step 1: Register your personal data and educational background in the application form.
Step 2: Please send the filled out and signed application form as well as the following documents as certified copies via email to email@example.com:
- Authenticated copy of General university entrance qualification certificate
- Curriculum vitae
- Authenticated copy of Bachelor degree certificate (for details check the admission requirements)
- Authenticated copy of Transcript of records Bachelor’s degree
- If applicable: Authenticated copy of Master degree and diploma
- Proof of sufficient English language skills (at least B2 proficiency level – for details check the admission requirements)
- Scan of passport
Please always enter your full name as it is mentioned in your passport. If you do not have a last name, please enter "-".
All documents must be in German or English. If your original document is written in another language, you must have your document translated by a certified translator. Please then send a certified copy of the original and the certified translation when applying.
Please send all documents as PDF and name the file as followed: Last name, first name_Study programme (e.g. Smith, Jane_Big Data and Business Analytics).
Note: Where can I have my documents certified?
- issuing institutions, e.g. schools, universities and language schools,
- the Ministry of Education in your home country
- the German embassies and consulates,
- the cultural department of the embassy of the country from which the certificate originates,
- the authorities and notaries who are authorised to carry out official certification in your home country.
Important: Translators are not allowed to certify documents in the original language.
Step 3: After the successful admission the originals and authenticated documents as well as the originally signed registration form need to be handed in at the International Office
Contact at FOM Hochschule
Studying in Essen, Germany
Lying in the centre of the Ruhr area in Western Germany, the town Essen has a lot to offer – from significant industrial cultural monuments to charming local recreation areas. Students can enjoy large cultural opportunities such as the famous Folkwang Museum or the Aalto Theatre, as well as countless opportunities for going out.
For example, you should not miss a visit to the Coal Mine Zollverein Industrial Complex. Today, the former coal mine is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site, and with its adjacent park, it is one of the region’s tourist magnets. As the greenest city in the German federal state North Rhine-Westphalia and one of the European Green Capitals, Essen delights everyone who wants to enjoy nature after a lecture.